October 2nd, 2012
1. It’s the end of the world. - The Mayan calendar ends December 21st, better take a vacation! We are taking off $100 each night until then, so your wallet takes a break too: Calendar Countdown.
2. Perpetual summer. - The average temperatures in Belize is in the mid 80′s. Go ahead, live in your swim suit!
3. Say hello to fried jacks. – Belize’s answer to a doughnut. It’s even better with the local jellies. Of course we offer this in our restaurant, La Ceiba.
4. 2 for 1. - See both Sand & Stone: Belize has both Caribbean and Jungle (ahem- Maya ruins!) basically 2 vacations in one! See your Jungle Accommodations here.
5. The Mayan underworld.- See some dark history and explore like Indiana Jones through ancient cave systems. Check out our full list of Excursions.
6. Jaguars? We’ve got a lot.- Belize has the healthiest population of Jaguars. Here kitty, kitty.
7. Reef it up.- Belize has the healthiest barrier reef in the world.
8. Get your cultural fix.- What country has Maya, German decent Mennonites, Garifuna, Mestizo, and Creole all under one roof?
9. Hop, skip and a jump. -Belize is 4 hours from New York, 1 1/2 hrs from Miami, and about 5 hours from LA.
10. Don’t be lost in translation.-Belize is English speaking, so no subtitles needed!
August 23rd, 2012
Destination Wedding Belize: An Ancient Mayan Marriage
Choosing a destination wedding allows couples a level of freedom that just can’t be found when planning a traditional, hometown wedding. With the World to choose from, if you can dream it – it can become reality. We have the perfect example of a destination wedding experience ideal for adventurous couples at Ka’ana Belize. For those who may not know, Belize is an English-speaking country located in Central America and is easily accessible from most major U.S. airports. In this case, exotic doesn’t mean inconvenient.
Arguably the biggest perk of Belize as a destination wedding location is that it’s covered in Mayan ruins. Luckily for us, Ka’ana is located smack-dab in the middle of the ancient Maya civilization. Belize is the only country which allows wedding ceremonies to physically take place on Mayan ruins – offering the backdrop opportunity of a lifetime. As a result, Ka’ana offers couples everything from a ceremony for 30 guests at nearby Xunantunich (an ancient Mayan city one-and-a-half miles away from property), to a small, intimate wedding for two followed by an exclusive overnight stay on a ruin in a luxury tent complete with a traditional Mayan dinner cooked over a fire.
A one-hour drive from Ka’ana Belize is a Maya civilization just past the Guatemalan border where guests can have an entire ancient city to themselves. Ka’ana’s Yaxha Overnight Experience Package begins with a ride through the Belizean jungle and into Guatemala’s Yaxha National Park. Enter the 1,100 year-old city just after dusk where an expert guide will lead guests to their meal prepared by a local Maya cook at the base of the ruins.
After dinner, the guide will lead the ascent to highest temple where guests can enjoy views of the Guatemalan countryside while an archaeologist expounds upon the intricate excavation of the Yaxha Temple. At the end of the evening, guests can retire to their luxury tent– a replica of the rooms at Ka’ana complete with a king-sized bed. After Maya coffee the following morning, guests have the option to cross Lake Yaxha via boat to visit another, not-yet-excavated Topoxte Maya ruins before returning to Ka’ana.
The Yaxha Overnight Experience Package starts at $4,500 USD and includes the following for up to two guests:
• Roundtrip road transportation to Yaxha
• Tour hosted by a licensed archaeologist and local guide
• Personal Butler
• Exclusive accommodations in a luxury tent in the plaza of Yaxha Maya City
• Turndown service
• Authentic Maya dinner & breakfast
• Sundowners with sparkling wine, cheese, and fruit
• Boat ride across the lake to Topoxte Maya ruins
Perhaps you and your destination wedding
guests want a healthy balance of adventurous and traditional? Not a problem because Ka’ana also offers more traditional wedding packages
on property. Despite being located in the epicenter of an ancient civilization, Ka’ana is a luxury resort which boasts modern design, private villas, impeccable service and fabulous food. If your destination wedding planning is already underway, consider Ka’ana for the romantic honeymoon of a lifetime. For more information on the resort or to start planning your very own Mayan adventure, visit kaanabelize.com
August 14th, 2012
A travel Blogger, Around the World “L”!!, chose Ka’ana for her Honeymoon; see her great Review: Belize Honeymoon – thanks Lillie!
April 18th, 2012
We got to work with some very talented friends who came down from New York to check out Ka’ana’s version of Belize – and capture it on video.
From making clay pots with local Maya women, horseback riding through rivers, hanging out in private pool villas, swimming into – and exploring Maya caves (Including human remains!) to helicoptering over rivers and waterfalls… The list goes on, so let’s leave it to the photos!
Arriving In Style!
The View From The Helicopter, No Big Deal.
Chasing An Airboat On The Way To Lamanai!
Breaking-In The New Villas…
Luxury Tent At A Maya Ruin.
Our Genetically-Blessed Friends:
Spelunking The Maya Underworld!
Meeting The Locals At The Zoo.
April 17th, 2012
We’ve been working with New York-based designer, Cara Araneta, to upgrade the interiors of our Balam Suites, King and Queen Casita Suites. Her vision was to combine Belize’s colonial heritage and indigenous crafts with expedition influences, scattering antiques like vintage binoculars, cameras, telescopes, and old, military medals. Also, placing English colonial portraits adjacent to local artists’ artworks and using warm, local textiles and patterned accents. Each suite is personally styled. “I wanted every room to tell a story – and feel personal.” Here are some work-in-progress snapshots.
Balam Suite – Detail
Bar Shelving – Expedition Finds
Beaded Shakers – Add Attitude To Headboard
Casita Suite – Queen
Casita Suite – Queen – Detail
Casita Suite – King
Casita Suite – King – Detail
Master Suite – Detail
Master Suite – Private Outdoor Deck & Shower