December 24th, 2012
You’re sick of the winter layers, especially the hat hair. Much prefer to be hanging outdoors chilling in the sun…
You’re stuck in your office, when you could be ziplining through tree tops on a Belize Adventure…
You’re drinking hot cocoa, when you could be sipping on one of these (here)!
Your visibility looks like this, when your vista could be…awe-inspiring!
Your commute looks like this, when you could be zooming to get here…
March 22nd, 2011
Immerse yourself in the tropical paradise that is Belize, exploring remnants of the Maya – ancient cities and exhilarating caves – while becoming one with the rainforest and its inhabitants. More than a vacation, Belize is a state of being; a place where your senses come alive and you find yourself not just living, but savoring every moment.
Co-created with the region’s last Mayan Shaman and deeply inspired by the sacred natural surroundings of the Belizean land, rituals and traditions, this Holistic Healing Retreat will encourage you to explore how you can live in harmony as well as find balance within yourselves and with all life in your midst. Offering both Sunrise and Sunset sessions either on Ka’ana’s on-site Yoga Pavilion or on scenic settings, such as the Ball Court in the ancient Maya City of Xunantunich and the Banks of the Mopan River, the rich content woven through this comprehensive retreat will be embodied through the practice of yoga. The physical exploration of yoga poses (asana) in a flow-based approach will build over the natural arc of the retreat and will serve to clear excess stagnation and stress, creating the space for abundance, vitality and a deep sense of peace.
March 15th, 2011
As a country with great ecological diversity and a famous destination for travelers, visitors are advised to venture beyond its beaches or islands to explore its natural heritage as Belize has a magical interior that shouldn’t be overlooked. With so much to do and see, a good start to your vacation planning is to get ideas of activities and destinations that appeal to you.
- A true melting pot, Belize’s cultures and traditions compel you to travel inland to witness the many ethnicities which make up its population. Moreover, Belizean people are diverse, friendly and welcoming by nature; interact with them to experience aspects of their customs such as cuisine, dance and music.
- As an ideal tropical paradise, experience both sides to the “Belizean Coin” – a splash of the Caribbean Sea and a taste of the Central American heat! A “Sand & Stone” vacation, offered by partner resorts, allows you to spend half your days on an island with the remainder inland.
- Belize’s highlands mean lots of phenomenal cascades. In fact, the 1000 Foot Falls is the tallest in Central America. Refresh yourself in other impressive waterfalls such as Big Rock Falls, Five Sisters Falls and Rio On Pools – all in the Mountain Pine Ridge Forest Reserve.
- Belize’s High Season begins with Winter in North America. Most of the time it’s challenging to find hotel accommodations so book your travel in advance. You can also book your vacation during the Low Season when prices are much lower and hotel accommodations are easy to find.
- With one of the most extensive and fantastic cave systems, Belize’s Cayo District is riddled with underground passages. Be sure to set aside a day for the Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) Cave – sure to be the highlight of your vacation!
- Dotted with ancient cities and ruins, visit Xunantunich – one of the most popular archaeological sites in the region; the panoramic view from “El Castillo”, the main structure, is definitely worth the trip!
- Filled with national parks to explore and wildlife sanctuaries to peruse, you’re guaranteed to see exotic as well as native creatures.
- Follow the annual La Ruta Maya River Challenge if you’re visiting during the first weekend in the month of March. It’s an exciting four-day cross-country canoe race which starts on the Macal River in the Twin Town of San Ignacio and ends on the Belize River in Belize’s Old Capital.
- Many Belize hotels offer all-inclusive packages, often customizing them to suit your needs and enhance your stay! An inland luxury hotel or jungle resort for example, may have quiet, natural surroundings, nearby attractions as well as personal spas which offer seclusion from too many people.
- Wander off the Beaten Path! However, be sure to tread carefully through natural sites to ensure Belize remains a jewel for locals and visitors alike.
July 24th, 2010
So it’s been one of those days where no amount of espresso will keep my mind focused! The hours keep ticking by and my to-do list keeps growing. Which leads me to a task I always consider one of the easier on my schedule, expanding and updating the playlists for the restaurant and bar. Seems like a fun job, something fairly straightforward and achievable irrespective of how my mushed my head is, right? Maybe not…
When we created La Ceiba Restaurant, the ethos was very much to represent the best of local and regional styles with an international flair. Chef Kuylen reaches the gastro heights with his understanding of local favorites, doubled with his San Fran experience. Polo brings the noise with his cocktails, and I’m reasonably happy with our wine offering (which I can’t blame on anyone else!). We’ll come back another time to discuss design, service etc, but the part of the experience that’s often under-appreciated and overlooked is that of the music. I chose to go with regional music of all kinds, as well as a few from further afield that we all personally enjoy. I wanted the music to be chilled-out and loungy, have a latin edge, and wanted stayed away from lyrics (especially English) so as not to take away from the aesthetic of the culinary experience. In general I opted for more light-hearted, upbeat music to make the experience more enjoyable and carefree. Think vacations, chilling, summertime, food, cockails, friends and fun!
Achieving this however is a whole ‘nother thing entirely! Where to start? It’s been a long road, a lot of trying and testing and listening and changing. And it’s ever-evolving. I cannot wait for our upcoming partnership with the ever-so-cool Stonetree Records, but in the meantime will have to settle for foraging through the internet wilderness, searching for the sweet taste of latin lounge music. Wish me luck!