Starting today, Earth Day 2019, the entire country of Belize has banned single-use plastics. This means plastic bags, styrofoam, and single-use cutlery will no longer be allowed anywhere in our beautiful country.
We at Ka'ana are thrilled with this development. Our commitment to sustainability is at the very core of everything we do. A recent report predicted that "by 2050, plastic in our oceans will outweigh the fish that live in them. Another recent study found that the amount of nonbiodegradable plastic in our oceans will increase threefold from 2015 to 2025."
Our friends at National Geographic help put this in perspective: "Imagine if every foot of coastline around the world was stacked with five plastic grocery bags stuffed with plastic trash. That's the amount of plastic waste that ends up in our oceans each year. This visual is staggering."
Belize is proud to be joining over 30 countries around the world that have banned single-use plastics. It's an important step on the road to recovery for the beautiful Caribbean Sea whose gentle waves lap up against Belizean shores, as well as our jungle home, and every vulnerable environment around the globe.
And we're going even further.
From our all-organic garden, where we grow our own produce, to our eco-friendly housekeeping practices, we are making sure we practice what we preach in areas both big and small. Here are just a few of the ways in which Ka'ana is making sure our gorgeous paradise is thriving for generations to come:
- We grow basil, lime, zucchinis, watermelon, purple corn, passion fruit, habanero chillies, and more in our on-site garden. These are then harvested by hand and used by our chefs to make incredible meals each day.
- The soaps and cleansers guests use during their stay are entirely organic and are made just eight miles from our resort.
- Our 65 happy chickens lay farm-fresh eggs every day for our guests' breakfast.
- Once used, the empty eggshells are reused to grow seeds to be planted back into the garden.
- All woodwork at Ka'ana was built within 25 miles of the resort, using sustainably grown Belizean hardwoods.
- Our on-site organic nursery grows trees that will be planted throughout the resort.
- All trimmings and other organic waste from the grounds are shredded and reused for compost.
- And, of course, we use biodegradable products made out of cornstarch or paper in all containers, bags, laundry, and in our food & beverage prep. No single-use plastic will ever be found at Ka'ana!
Every member of our team has a passion for the beautiful environment that surrounds us. They would love to show you around the garden, take you to meet our animals, and get you closer to what we call our organic home.
We can't wait to welcome you to an even greener Belize on your next visit. Happy Earth Day!