At Ka'ana Resort, we feel so blessed to be surrounded by a strikingly beautiful country filled with adventure, exceptional cuisine, and vibrant culture at every turn. Out of our appreciation for all Belize has given us, Ka'ana has placed sustainability and giving back to the community among our top priorities. From donating garbage bins to our neighboring towns to constructing much-needed restrooms for a nearby primary school, Ka'ana has embarked on many ventures of generosity throughout the years. We continually seek to bless our surrounding neighbors in the San Ignacio area, and we certainly plan to continue in the years to come.
Some Altruism in Action
The year 2019 came to a close with much to be grateful for at Ka'ana. It was a year of enjoyable events, spectacular guests, excellent staff, the opening of our sister resort, and many opportunities to reach out to our community. The holiday season brought many occasions to reach out, and in turn, became a December to remember for our staff! With loads of tasty goodness, we set off to bring some cheer to our community. This included donating groceries to the local police department for distribution to the needy, supplying cakes to a Christmas event at a care home, baking treats for Camp Se Konsa, and even preparing homemade cupcakes for the Benque Police Station's Christmas event for children! Each initiative so worth it when we witnessed how much these small gestures meant to the recipients.
Generosity Makes the World Go 'Round
It's safe to say that we have all learned by now that money cannot buy happiness, but as this Harvard study boldly states, "money spent on others really can buy happiness". You might even be surprised to find that there are ways to give without spending a dime. If you aim to incorporate more generosity into your personal wellness this year, we invite you to explore Belize with us. Relax, refresh, embrace adventure, and do a little good while you're at it! Our staff cannot deny that giving is one of the most fulfilling activities one can take part in. We have experienced it first hand, and we invite you to join us!
Here are some ways to join us in the generosity at Ka'ana (trust us, it really is a piece of cake!):
- Share online - it's the simplest way to give back to the community without spending a cent! Did you have a great time with the tour guide? Or enjoy a meal at a local restaurant? Share it! Whether you write a review or post a photo online, it means more to them than you could know!
- Shop local - During your stay with Ka'ana, you will most likely visit the famous Xunantunich. On your way back from your adventure, be sure to stop by the local vendors near the entrance for some beautiful handmade souvenirs including Maya baskets, jewelry, and embroidery.
- Pack for a Purpose - Who wouldn't want to help children in need! Through Pack for a Purpose, we share with you the opportunity to give tangible resources to school children who need them. Simply pack some supplies when you visit Ka'ana! See all the details on the Pack for a Purpose website.
- Volunteer - Ka'ana serves local schools in initiatives such as providing supplies, books, and assisting with construction projects. Join us in our regular visits to these schools to deliver supplies or lend a hand. Help give these children the learning environment they deserve!
- Have a snack - Who knew something so tasty could support the local economy? Our minibars are fully stocked with local snacks you will love! At Ka'ana we believe luxury does not have to mean imported. Luxury can also be authentic Belizean snacks – supporting a local artisan with every delicious bite.
- Donate - This one is sure to tug on your heartstrings… Because who doesn't love animals? Here are two charities which are very dear to our hearts:
- Cayo Animal Welfare Society - an incredible animal shelter, working tirelessly to improve the lives of domestic animals. You can make a monetary donation on their website here, or even bring donations of flea/tick medication and powdered puppy milk.
- The Belize Wildlife Clinic - a veterinary clinic that has provided care to thousands of Belizean animals! Not only do they rescue and rehabilitate injured wildlife, but they also work hard to educate others on animal welfare and conservation. Find more details, including how to donate, here.
- Self-care - Most importantly, be generous to YOU in the ways that matter most. Without good health and a sound mind – what can we give? Give yourself the rest and rejuvenation you need to be your best this year. From a Wellness and Adventure Package to an All-Inclusive Vacation, Ka'ana has just the right recipe to make your next stay simply effortless.